Bradford County, Florida Genealogy
Bradford County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Bradford Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Bradford County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.bradford-co-fla.org/
- Created Date / Origin: December 21, 1858 from Columbia County (originally named New River County Name until December 6, 1861)
- County Seat: Starke
- Named After: Richard Bradford, the first officer from Florida to die in the Civil War; he was killed during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island
- Bordering Counties: Baker County (north), Clay County (east), Putnam County (southeast), Alachua County (south), Union County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Hampton, Lawtey, Starke Brooker
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Naturally Bradford County shared the early struggles of the district and suffered minor damage during the Civil War.
- Bradford Telegraph, one of Florida's oldest weekly newspapers, founded in 1879.
Bradford County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bradford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Bradford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Bradford County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Bradford County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Bradford County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. The original Lake Butler courthouse was burned in 1865, reportedly to destroy a murder indictment along with all other county records. A second courthouse burned in 1875
- Bradford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Drawer B, Starke, FL 32091 or 945 N. Temple Ave., Starke, FL 32091
- Bradford County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 966-6280 Fax (904) 966-6256
- Marriage Records: 1875
- Land Records: 1875
- Probate Records: 1868
- Court Records: 1875
- Bradford County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Florida Historical Records
- Databases include Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Voter Lists & Census Records; Immigration & Emigration Records; Obituary Records; Military Records; Family Tree Records; Pictures; Stories, Memories & Histories; Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Bradford County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Bradford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Bradford County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bradford Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bradford Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bradford Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bradford Co. FL Census Records
Bradford Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bradford Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Bradford Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bradford Co. FL General and History Websites
Bradford Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Bradford Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bradford Co. FL Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Florida
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Bradford County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Bradford Co. FL Schools & Directories