Jefferson County, Florida Genealogy
Jefferson County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Jefferson Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.jeffersoncountyfl.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: January 6, 1827 from Leon County
- County Seat: Monticello
- Named After: Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), the third President of the United States and principal author of the Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: Thomas County, GA (north), Brooks County, GA (northeast), Madison County (east), Taylor County (southeast), Wakulla County (southwest), Leon County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Monticello
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Had been the scene of bitter war between the Spanish and English and their Indian allies.
- Battle of Ayavalla, a few miles southwest of the present Monticello, Jan. 25,, 1704.
- Achille Murat, nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte died near Wacissa, April 15, 1847.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Historical Association, P. O. Box 496, Monticello, FL 32344
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 695 East Washington Street, Monticello 32344-2546
- Keystone Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 50, Monticello, FL 32344; 904-997-3304
- Jefferson County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jefferson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Circle, Monticello, FL 32344
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 342-0218 ext. 232
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Land Records: 1827
- Probate Records: 1900
- Court Records: 1900
- Jefferson County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Jefferson County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Jefferson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Jefferson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jefferson Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. FL Census Records
Jefferson Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. FL General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. FL Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Links for Florida
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Jefferson County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Jefferson Co. FL Schools & Directories